General Tools is a family owned and operated company. Established in 1956, the company amalgamated the tooling and machinery operations in its present location in 2005. Prior to this General Tools was located in the Adelaide CBD, first in Halifax Street, and later in Gilbert Street. A later move to Hindmarsh was the result of increasing congestion in the CBD, the movement out of the city centre of many customers, and a general need for expansion.
During the 1980’s General Tools involvement in machinery sales expanded greatly. At first all machinery was stored and sold from the Hindmarsh branch. Later space considerations forced the purchase of a small warehouse two streets away in Hindmarsh. However, the sales of machinery grew to such a point that a much larger premises was needed, and the purpose built Cavan branch was constructed. This allowed General Tools to expand its range of new and second hand machinery to the largest in South Australia.
A significant expansion of the Cavan branch has been completed bringing all operations under the one branch. The Hindmarsh branch is no longer open, but all of the items that were available there are now displayed in our new showroom.